Backup Ninja Help & FAQ
Backup Ninja is a simple service you can use to backup the world’s most popular open source databases; locally or in the cloud. It connects securely to your database server through an installed agent, allowing the service to manage fully-encrypted backups to local and cloud storage using a cloud provider of your choosing.
- Backup the most popular open source databases MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL and MongoDB, using recommended best practices within a few minutes.
- Get away from homegrown custom scripts, continuous maintenance and monitoring. Let our service handle the tedious work of making sure backups are taken, successfully completed and securely transferred and stored. Seamlessly and simultaneously store backups in multiple locations locally on-prem or in the cloud.
- Support for popular public cloud storage providers; AWS S3, DigitalOcean Spaces, Google Cloud Storage and other S3 compliant cloud storage providers such as CityCloud (Sweden), Safespring (Sweden), ScanNet (Denmark), ScaleWay (France), ExoScale (Switzerland)
- Securely encrypt on-the-fly backups locally and in the cloud with AES256 OFB encryption.
- Flat monthly rate. Know what you are paying for based on the number of servers you are backing up.
An agent is software that runs on your database hosts. It connects to your database to execute backups, encrypt files and transfer them to the backup locations you have defined.
AWS S3, DigitalOcean Spaces, Google Cloud Storage, CityCloud (Sweden), Safespring (Sweden), ScanNet (Denmark), ScaleWay (France), ExoScale (Switzerland), and more to come.
MySQL, MariaDB, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Percona Server for MySQL, TimescaleDB
Pricing and Billing
We charge upfront (prepaid) a flat subscription rate per database server per month. The rate depends on how many servers you have added.
- 1-4 servers: $40 per server per month
- 5-9 servers: $34 per server per month (a 15% discount)
- 10+ servers: $30 per server per month (a 25% discount)
We enable by default a trial period of 14 days when you first add a server. After the trial period ends, you will need to upgrade to a paid subscription to continue using the service.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, Visa Electron and Maestro.
Your subscription billing date is determined by the time you upgraded your account to a paid plan. For example if you upgraded your account on the 3rd then you will always be billed on the 3rd of the month and we bill you upfront at the beginning of the billing cycle.
You can see your upcoming invoice by going to the billing page.
Adding or removing servers to your account results in a charge and potential subscription adjustment.
For example, if we assume you have 4 database servers and was billed 4*$40=$160 on the 1st of each month. Halfway through the month (i.e., 15 March) you decide to add an additional server at the cost of $34 (for the 5th server) with a new total subscription plan change of 5*$34=$170 per month.
Since you have used half of the current billing cycle, the unused portion of the previous subscription plan results in a credit of $80.
The remainder of the month is billed with the new subscription plan which amounts to $85 (that is, $170 divided by 2).
The total prorated cost of switching from 4 servers to 5 servers with the new plan is $5 ($85-$80) for the month of March and is added to the following month’s invoice.
You are not billed at the time the subscription plan is changed. The next invoice on April 1st will reflect the new subscription plan of $170 in addition to a prorated charge for the 5th server of $5.
You can cancel your paid plan at any time within the app. The cancellation will be effective at the end of your current billing cycle.
All paid tier comes with email support with a response time of 1 business day. Please contact email@example.com for an enterprise tier SLA.
You can remove a server from the subscription by going to the servers page. Click on the more menu and select ‘remove server’.
We hate to see you go! You can cancel/delete your account anytime by going to the Account settings.
Our flat monthly rate only considers the number of servers. We keep outgoing data bandwidth from our agents to our service to a minimum in order to keep your network utilization low and (potential) costs down.
Yes, we need super user access if you want to use our automatic backup restore from the service.
If you are only interested in doing backups, then you can limit the permissions. For example, with MySQL use the following privileges instead:
GRANT RELOAD, LOCK TABLES, REPLICATION CLIENT, EVENT, DROP, CREATE TABLESPACE, PROCESS, CREATE, ALTER, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, SELECT, SUPER, SHOW VIEW ON . TO 's9s'@'127.0.0.1';
We follow security and compliance best practices outlined by cloud security and compliance standards that have been adopted by major cloud providers. That is inclusive of encryption in-transit and at-rest, user and application activity monitoring and application-level authentication using tokens.
Your backups can be encrypted and are always transferred on encrypted connections to cloud storage locations. Note that we do not store your encryption keys, so you have full control on who can access your data.
Application-level authentication is implemented by the use of tokens to ensure that communication is trusted between various application components.
User or application activity is also captured for monitoring or auditing purposes.
See our online documentation for more details on how we secure our service.
Not at the moment. It’s on the roadmap.
Our service is hosted by public cloud providers such as CityCloud and Google Cloud on several availability zones and regions. We have fault-tolerance and redundancy in place to make sure the service is up and running at all times.
- Incremental backups: Restore up to an incremental backup
- Automated backup restore of physical backups: Automatically restore physical backups taken with xtrabackup, mariabackup and pg_backrest. Automatic restore of logical backups is supported.
- Point In Time Recovery: Restore from a catastrophic failure to the state of your database server based on a selected time and date. Custom S3 compliant cloud storage locations for offsite shipping of your backups. Use any cloud provider who provides a AWS S3 compliant API for cloud object storage.
- Backup Verification: Restore and validate your database integrity
- Support for even more database technologies, for example MS SQL Server and Couchbase
Do you have a database that you would like us to support? Please let us know any time firstname.lastname@example.org