Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the market leader for cloud computing services, offering over 175 fully-featured services to meet the needs of customers from various tiers. Customers can pick the right tool and functionality to build their cloud infrastructure according to their budget without compromising on security and performance. This blog addresses explicitly the various storage services offered by AWS. At the tail end of this blog, you will find a short discussion on AWS as a cloud storage service provider for Backup Ninja, a simple and secured open-source database backup tool.
Amazon Web Services Storage
AWS storage services, unlike other storage services, does not limit you to just create and manage your data storage, but also includes the capability to analyze data in your storage without compromising on security. All you need to do is decide what type of data to be stored, data availability, durability, and performance required,then select the right type of AWS cloud storage to meet the requirements. Pricing for the storage services depends on the frequency of accessibility and availability of data. It is vital to know the throughput and the amount of data to decide on the best storage option and cost optimization.
Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) Object Storage
Amazon S3 is an object storage to store an unlimited amount of unstructured data. This storage type is best to store backup data and later used for the restoration process. It is also the best fit to store website data, big data for analytics, and IoT devices data, which requires a secured storage space with the flexibility to scale its size at any time. Amazon S3 is designed to have 99.999999999% durability and comes with management tools for the user to manage their storage easily. Some noteworthy features of Amazon S3 are listed below:
- S3 Storage Class Analysis helps its user to provide insight into the required space. This allows users to scale their storage needs accordingly for cost optimization.
- S3 Block Public Access is a unique service by Amazon S3, which allows blocking the public IP access to all objects at the bucket level and account level eliminating unauthorized access.
- Query tools like S3 Select allow data analytics on S3 objects.
- Amazon S3 is the most supported cloud provider storage service as it can work seamlessly with any S3 compliant tool.
AWS File Storage
Amazon Elastic File System (Amazon EFS)
It is a scalable NFS file system for AWS cloud services or on-premises resources. Amazon EFS comes in two standard storage classes; one for infrequently accessed storage and standard storage. With the EFS life cycle the files configured for infrequent access are moved automatically to the Infrequent Access storage class (EFS IA), an excellent feature for practical storage at a low cost.
Amazon FSx for Windows Server
It is highly reliable and scalable file storage for Windows Server. The storage is accessible over Server Message Block (SMB) protocol. The benefits of Amazon FSx for Windows Server include :
- It is built on Windows server; therefore, it is rich in administration features
- Low-cost, durable file storage with data deduplication to remove redundant data for the cost optimization
- SSD and HDD storage options for fast and flexible performance
- Comply with ISO, PCI-DSS, SOC certifications, and HIPAA eligible
Amazon FSx for Lustre
It allows you to work with the Luster filesystem for workloads which require high-speed storage services. The Luster filesystem is designed for applications which require high-speed storage. Amazon FSx for Luster integrates with Amazon S3 seamlessly to process cloud data sets. Also, you can use Amazon FSx with Linux applications without any changes because it provides a native file system interface and works as any file system.
Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS)
Amazon EBS is designed to use Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) for high-transaction workload applications like SAP, Oracle, and Microsoft products. The Amazon EBS architecture, like other AWS storage services, is made for high availability, durability, and scalability. Following are the key features of Amazon EBS:
- Elastic volumes allow you to scale, tune performance up and down, and manage the volume needs at any point in time.
- Architecture for reliability, each volume is replicated within the availability zone to guarantee 99.999% availability and an annual failure rate (AFR) of between 0.1%-0.2%.
- Increase storage capacity from a single GB to petabytes at any time without any interruption to any application.
- There are four different volume types to choose from, and they come with different pricing and performance.
AWS on Backup Ninja
AWS partners with many vendors, like Backup Ninja, as a cloud provider for their S3 compliant tools without any complicated configuration. Backup Ninja is an online database backup service for popular open-source database technologies like MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Percona, and Timescale. With Backup Ninja, you don’t need to write any backup scripts; Backup Ninja can connect, schedule, and execute a backup within minutes. The upcoming sections will show you how to configure and schedule backups on AWS with Backup Ninja.
Setting up AWS on Backup Ninja
Step 1: Select AWS as a cloud provider.
Step 2: Select the backup region.
Step 3: Enter the AWS cloud credential settings. The bucket name can be any name of your preference.
Step 4: Give a name for your cloud storage configuration. This will be used when you schedule a backup.
Step 5: The AWS Cloud Storage is configured on Backup Ninja.
Schedule Backups on AWS Using Backup Ninja
Once you have successfully configured the cloud storage, you can now easily configure the backup schedule on Backup Ninja in just five steps.
Step 1: Enter the details for the backup schedule.
Step 2: Select the cloud credentials created earlier from the drop-down. The retention period has defaulted to 7 days, you may change it accordingly.
Step 3: Enter the backup name in the given format.
Step 4: Select the given option to state when the backup should be scheduled.
Step 5: View the configured schedule on the Backup Ninja Dashboard.
AWS storage services include other services like backup, data transfer, and edge computing services. These services complement their storage offering to give the user a wholesome experience for the cloud storage infrastructure.
For instance, you can have centralized automated backup services for all AWS storage services with a few clicks from their backup console. The data transfer services have three different products which facilitate data transfer for hybrid cloud storage, data synchronization between physical devices and AWS services, and simple file transfer to Amazon S3 using SFTP, FTPS, and FTP.